Hello everyone! It’s Mikaela from SweetTreatsStudios!
To all this applies to- happy easter! I hope everyone has LOTS of fun!
And if you are not celebrating easter- today will be a good day to relax at home!
Today’s post will feature: Fixing Damaged Doll Hair, Fun Spring Craft, My Favorite Spring AG Releases, Great Doll Photography Tips, and Copyright Strikes!
Fixing Damaged Doll Hair. There are many approaches to fixing an AG doll’s hair. All of these could be found with an easy youtube search! However, I think these techniques are by far the best!
Straight/Wavy Hair- Chances are that your doll’s hair is very frizzy and knotted! For the frizz I would recommend a good ole downy dunk! Stephenswodadancer has a tutorial video on how to do this! All you need is Downy fabric softener, a counter or elevated space, and a sink! All of which you might have at home! Here is a link to that video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRMnsFGFXPA
Curly Hair- My Lanie (GOTY 2010) doll had horrendous hair! It was almost stick straight! What I did was wash her hair with a little shampoo (my shampoo) in my sink. After washing out the shampoo I added some conditioner (also mine as well) and left it in there while it gently untangled her hair. I then washed out the conditioner and towel dried her hair a bit, keeping it a little damp. Then I used some medium sized foam hair rollers I purchased at Wallgreens for $1.00 (Im sure you can buy them at any store that sells everything such as Target or Walmart). I put them in her hair and let her hair dry overnight. In the morning I took her rollers out and she had beautiful curls again!
How to Make Flip Flops for AG Dolls!
You will need: Cool Duct Tape (Patterned or Colored- You can find this kind of duct tape at your local craft store), an old doll shoe, and Craft Foam!
- Trace a doll shoe sole on craft foam 4 times and cut them out. Flip 2 craft foam “soles” so you have 2 for the doll’s left foot, and 2 for the doll’s right foot.
- Cut a strip of duct tape and rip it in half lengthwise (the hot dog way).
- Fold over both strips on top of themselves, meeting in the middle.
- Place your doll’s foot on one of the craft foam “soles” you made and place the duct tape strip above the start of her feet, folding the excess under her foot on the bottom of the “sole”. Glue the duct tape in place.
- Glue the second sole for that side of the dolls foot (left or right) under the first layer, thus covering the excess tape your folded on the bottom of the sole.
- Cut a strip of foam for the outside of the shoes sole. Approximately 1/8- 1/4 inches wide.
- Put glue on the strip of foam and wrap it around the outside of the strip of foam. Trim the excess until it wraps around it once.
And your done! If you find any of the steps confusing or need visual-ade, visit this site where I found this craft! http://agdollplay.blogspot.com/2013/01/doll-craft-make-your-doll-flip-flops.html
My Favorite and Least Favorite Spring AG Releases
- Sweet Spring Dress (MAG)- This dress is sooo cute! I love the lace detail and the flower looks great! The shoes also have that pointe shoe look to them which is unique!
- Plaid Party Dress (MAG)- This dress is very simple and chic at the same time! It is perfect for your dolls to hang out outside! I love the ruffles on it, they really add oomph to the dress!
- Easy Breezy Outfit (MAG)- I think this outfit is adorable! It;s very colorful and just screams spring! The only thing I don’t like would be the shoes! They remind me of Our Generation shoes and I hate their shoes!
- Molly’s Bed and Bedding (Historical)- I think this is such an improvement from Molly’s other bed! The other one was very dark and boring! This one is bright and “spring-y”! The only thing I would add to improve it would be a decorative pillow of some sort!
- Saige’s Painting Set (GOTY)- This is such an adorable piece! It has so many details and so many pieces to it! It is a bit pricey however, other than that there is nothing wrong with this piece!
- Saige’s Hot Air Balloon Set (GOTY)- This piece is way too large! You also have to actually fill it with air which takes a very long time to do! Its very heavy and is over priced considering only one doll fits inside of it (or 2 can squish in).
- Styling Chair (MAG)- I feel like this styling chair is the exact same beside color as the other one! Only difference is that it is a lot more expensive! The styling chairs are also a waste of money anyway because the doll is not stable enough in it. You are better off having your doll sit between your legs while you do her hair!
- Lots of Dots Bath Wrap (MAG)- I think this bath wrap looks more like a dress than a bath wrap! I think the other one was more realistic!
Overall though, I am very happy with what AG has released! Hopefully one day I can work at AG headquarters and help them avoid making expensive items for a cheaper quality!
Great Doll Photography Tips
Always use daylight! As mentioned in my post last week, daylight photos look a lot better than a lightbulb light photo!
NO FLASH! Flash brings out shine marks and the ugly in many AG dolls! You shouldnt need to use flash anyway, your photos should always be taken in the daytime and not the night!
Have a variety! No one wants many of the same photos over and over again! That is boring! If you vary your shots, you will also get more AGPS views!
Take shots at eye level or above. I find that any shots showing a dolls face that are below eye level/ looking up at dolls face tend to give your doll a double chin!
Copyright strikes can be what holds you back from becoming a partner!
You can get copyright strikes by adding music or other content that does not belong to you without giving credit! Sometimes, even if you do give credit, many popular songs can result in a copyright strike.
I recommend going to incomptech.com to get free copyright free music by Kevin MacLeod, Jason Shaw, or Josh Woodward!
That’s it for this post!
It’s 2:14am where I am… Im so sleepy!
Goodnight everyone! Have a great week!
New post next Saturday!
This weeks Newbie Spotlight goes to…. aglovet2222!
Her stopmotions are SO SMOOTH
Her photoshoots are AMAZING
and I just love her videos!
She is also very sweet so you should chat her!
Heres a link to her channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/aglovet2222
Thanks for reading!
To make a blog feature request/ blog inquiry/ request to be in the newbie spotlight/ anything else pm me at http://www.youtube.com/user/sweettreatsstudios